• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Favorite pizza?/Most common pizza where you live

Do you think that lutefisk would hold together as a pizza topping? How about surströmming or durian as a topping? :mrgreen:

I have to Agree, original style Pizza really is the best. Aaagh, Durian as a topping? You'd clear out the whole house/Restaurant! Smells Awful, like Sewer Gas...

There are many good types of cheese for Pizza, besides the standard Mozza/Cheddar combination. Here, they don't have Cheddar, so they usually use other Local cheeses, made from a variety of things, like Cow's milk, goat's milk, etc.

Kaypro: I have to Agree, original style Pizza really is the best.
I honestly don't think there is any such thing. What we call Pizza is whatever we do locally. It's different all over the world. I wonder if they have Pizza in Italy? Probably not anything like what we would like. I think its like "Danish pastery" - it's not pastery and they don't have it in Danemark.

Did I say we? ... oops .... actually I don't like Pizza. The whole idea of cooking cheese to give it the consistency and digestability of bubble gum is just foreign to my aesthetics and intestines. :p

I honestly don't think there is any such thing. What we call Pizza is whatever we do locally. It's different all over the world. I wonder if they have Pizza in Italy? Probably not anything like what we would like. I think its like "Danish pastery" - it's not pastery and they don't have it in Danemark.

I'll bet the Danes have "Danish Butter Cookies" that seem to pop up here in great quantity this time of year. The cookies are, well, pretty uninteresting, but the tins make great storage for all manner of hellbox stuff.

Actually, there is an official "Pizza Vera Napolitana" and a certification and licensing group and their North American affiliate.

Pizza at these joints tends to be very expensive.

Ole, are you familiar with surströmming? I've heard that opening the cans can be dangerous...

Yeah, they gots pizza in Italy...or more like pizzas. They have as many different regional variants as they have regions.
The way Mama Parto taught me relies heavily on tyme as the main seasoning (in fact, she called it pizza-pie spice), while in Italy, the most common seasonings are oregano (Rome) and/or basil (Naples). (Although, I don't adhere 100% to Mama Parto's recipe either, leaning towards a more basilly flavor myself, but I definately put lots of tyme in it too...much more than any other red sauce I make).
BTW, the Partazano family came from the southeastern part of Italy, over by the bootheel, and settled in Cleveland, if that's of any signifigance.

--T

Last edited:
Chuck(G): Ole, are you familiar with surströmming? I've heard that opening the cans can be dangerous...
Actually I get surströmming and lutfisk confused. One time I remember the men going outside to open a can because of the smell. We didn't normally eat it in our house but because of my Swedish connection the words are familiar. I always thought that both of them were from the chemical warfare kitchen, but perhaps that's only the surströmming.

Yes, those Danish butter cookies do get around. :) They are a cheap imitation of what most people used to (still do?) make for christmas. Vaniliekranse are the round ring ones and they should taste like vanilla and have a LOT more butter in them. The original is a bit similar to short bread. BTW, about 20 years ago I was in a Japanese monestery for a service and since I really didn't understand a lot of it I just kept quiet and looked around. Everything was old and interesting, just my kind of eye candy, when I noticed something on the alter. I couldn't beleive it, there was that familiar blue can. Yep, Danish Butter Cookies!

Pizza & Beer

Pizza & Beer

Just had something called pizza beer, brewed with Oregano & Basil.
Really.
They have their own website, www.pizzabeer.net
It's a lager, tastes like what you would expect a lager with embedded Oregano & Basil to taste like.
Happy New Year.
patscc

All this pizza talk is making me hungry for a pizza. If anybody starts a topic about sex on new years eve they are going to get shot!

Yeah, they gots pizza in Italy...or more like pizzas.
I believe in tourist resorts, pizzas are more varied and "international" than in the traditional cities and districts. When I was on vacation in Lido de Jesolo four years ago, the local pizza places along the beach and shopping district had almost as big variation as the Swedish ones, far from the strict regulations given by the certification and licensing group.

outlaw pizza

outlaw pizza

carlsson said...the strict regulations given by the certification and licensing group
Seriously ? For pizza places ? How does that work, then ? Is it a sanitary thing, or toppings ?
I just can't picture it. I mean, over here the thought of pizza places having any kind of certification is ludicrous. Here, the only way you can tell cabs and pizza delivery apart (seeing as how the both use the most run down cars available {'beaters", as we like to call them}) is that the pizza drivers have their sign with the long axis colinear to the axis of the car, and cabs have theirs perpendicular. But regulatation or certification ?
I think the only rule we have is that if you order a double anchovies & peperoni you get heartburn for free.
Seriously, though, what do they certify & license ?

patscc

I believe in tourist resorts, pizzas are more varied and "international" than in the traditional cities and districts. When I was on vacation in Lido de Jesolo four years ago, the local pizza places along the beach and shopping district had almost as big variation as the Swedish ones, far from the strict regulations given by the certification and licensing group.

So how much is a pizza over there in Sweden? Somebody told me a year or two ago he went with a couple people to a pizza shop in Sweden or Norway and the bill for 3 people was over $100 or something crazy.

We can get a loaded 16" pizza for something like $20 in the US (pipe in if its more in your area).

A take-away pizza usually is around 55-60 SEK, about $7.50 in the current exchange rate. There exists some high class restaurants where you get to eat pizza on linen cloth and an orchestra playing in the background. I'd expect them to charge around 150 SEK, about $19 but it is a wild guess.

However in Norway everything is 50-100% more expensive than in Sweden. I'll let Per or someone else answer that. It may even depend which part of Norway you stay at.

Patscc: With certification I mean in e.g. Neapels, a pizza traditionally can only be one of three or four variants and I believe the licensing group as Chuck(G) linked to indeed evaluates and grades pizza restaurants on quality and how well they adhere to the classic definition. Imagine it like there would be an independent hamburger commission giving grades to chains and individual restaurants based on which kinds of hamburgers they serve: only classic and cheese burger allowed, minus points for chicken, bacon, vegetarian (!), unsual dip sauces, mini carrots or beans (!!) instead of fries etc.

Patscc: With certification I mean in e.g. Neapels, a pizza traditionally can only be one of three or four variants and I believe the licensing group as Chuck(G) linked to indeed evaluates and grades pizza restaurants on quality and how well they adhere to the classic definition. Imagine it like there would be an independent hamburger commission giving grades to chains and individual restaurants based on which kinds of hamburgers they serve: only classic and cheese burger allowed, minus points for chicken, bacon, vegetarian (!), unsual dip sauces, mini carrots or beans (!!) instead of fries etc.

Over here, we'd have to create a new cabinet level authority, (Pizza Czar), to monitor conditions, but having no power to do anything about any violations they found, in order to protect American Pizza from being corrupted into sum'n weird, like, fruit pizza or sum'n.

--T

Pizza Czar

Pizza Czar

carlsson said...certification
Kind of a neat idea, that. Over here, sometimes in the same town, you'll get different versions of, say, a "Supreme". It would be kind of nice to know what to expect. I don't know if I'm reading you right, but it seems you're saying that the types are fixed as to toppings. Over here, you usually go to a takout or delivery place and specify which toppings you want on it.
In the grocery stores, are frozen pizza's common ?

Terry Yager said...Pizza Czar
In principle I agree with Terry, although I really think we'd be better off with a Department of Homeland Pizza.

patscc

I had a coworker that his requirements for toppings weren't that bad but he wouldn't do what he called "the three f's" for toppings. No fish, fruit, or fungus.

I think it was actually pizza hut that I happened to be at 7 years ago that had a poster of the most commonly ordered pizza in different countries. Wish I could find it now. This is as close as I've found: http://recipes.howstuffworks.com/favorite-pizza-toppings-in-10-countries.htm

No idea if it's true and to be honest I haven't heard anything here really listed that sounded that bad.

One of the few funny things I've heard Jay Leno say over the years was saying: Pizza is kinda like sex. There really isn't such thing as bad pizza. I mean.. even if it's bad you still enjoy it, it's pizza.

Back