• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Unbelievably Valuable ASR33

Scary price. Only four bidders though and the last two drove it up £3000. I'd love to give one of these a home one day when I'm organised enough to have room, but if they're going to be that price, maybe I've missed my chance :-(

That's an awfully high price. Perhaps it's just due to location? That's several times what they're worth in the USA, even fixed up.

Maybe it was to get the rare dust cover. It isn't even a modem model, just a plain 33.
A similar one sold in the US for less then 1/10th that price.
Dwight

Last edited:
I got mine for $400. Unfortunately it is missing it's base with the power supply for the tape reader. Works fairly good otherwise though!

I got mine for $400. Unfortunately it is missing it's base with the power supply for the tape reader. Works fairly good otherwise though!

When I got mine, the base was in a separate box. I didn't know at the time that the supply for the reader was in the base. I didn't have space for the base so I left it boxed up. I got the schematic for the supply and made one on a breadboard. It isn't as pretty as the real one but should work fine. Since I now have a real supply, you're welcome to the breadboard one if you pay postage. Let me know in a PM.
Dwight

Wow!
I got mine (with a teperint marked dustcover) for the price of 2 bottles of wine.
Okay, that was several years ago, but still....

No--5-level machines were quite common. Used for telegrams since forever; every company that had international business used them to send Telex or TWX messages. TDD for the deaf still uses 5 level code, at least in the US.

I have no explanation for the asking price.

Well 5 or 8, it won't work without the cover. I should have noticed with all the rest of the 5 bit stuff he had.
Dwight

Yes but an ASR33 needs UK gears for the different mains frequency (and a transformer for the voltage but thats easy)

UK gears might be a bit difficult but a straightforward alternative is a frequency changer. You could combine with dropping the voltage and it’d be a **** sight cheaper than the £4300 alternative ;).

UK gears might be a bit difficult but a straightforward alternative is a frequency changer. You could combine with dropping the voltage and it’d be a **** sight cheaper than the £4300 alternative ;).

Indeed this works. I have an model 32 telext (60Hz) while our line frequency is 50Hz.
I use a powerbrick from a server (12V@70Amps) and feed that into an inverter (600W) which churns out 110V/60Hz.
So when I power it on, I first hear the PSU fans come alive, and about 3 seconds later, the motor of the machine starts.
Fairly cheap solution, the PSU was free, the inverter was about 120 Euro's.

My model 33 ASR does have the 50Hz gearset, so for thatt one I only use a step down transformer.

Back