• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

What is this? Post Photos of Mystery Items Here (vintage computers only)

The interesting thing about this board is that every IC is socketed. So likely made-in-Taiwan. I've seen other such cards and wondered if it was a matter of not be assured of a reliable IC supply or for troubleshooting. Populate the whole thing with sockets and turn it over to a company who stuffs it when IC inventories permit?

MC832P = Dual DTL 4-input expandable buffer
MC845P = Master-slave flip flop (single FF per package)

Without drawing this out on paper, looks like it could be a ring counter. The transistors and caps (note the polystyrene one) are probably the oscillator to drive this thing.

Unlikely to be computer-related, at least directly.

It is indeed likely a CGA clone card due to the Motorola 6845, although I've never seen one with two RCA jacks.

I have a different CGA card with two RCA connectors. And the schematic of a third one...

CGA_extra_output.png

What's the purpose of the extra output?

I had a CGA card with two RCA connectors years ago, and I think one of them was monochrome and the other was color. Presumably the monochrome one was better for 80-column text and the other one would have been for NTSC artifact color.

Hi, I found this computer in an electronics recycling bin. I cannot find any information on it. Does anyone have information on it?
Images

As PC/XT clones go, it's slightly less generic than most. It uses a power supply with the switch on the back rather than on the side. It appears to have an infrared port on the bottom front edge -- might that have been for a wireless keyboard?

The expansion cards are very generic. Looks like a CGA card, a floppy controller, a hard disk controller, and a multifunction card with clock, game port, 1 serial port, and a header for a parallel port. The multifunction card can be upgraded to have 2 serial ports if you plug an 8250 UART into the empty socket, and have the appropriate adapter cable that goes onto the second header.

IMG_20200612_225736546a.jpgIMG_20200612_225810032a.jpg

Been visiting this site for 3 years decided to register...
This board has kind of confused me for 3 years.. would really like to know what you all think.

I won this in a state surplus auction of 10 miscellaneous PC's. I can find no information on the computer or the manufacturer. I think it is really cool looking and think it should be saved. Not sure what its purpose was as laptops were already a thing in 95. Would appreciate any assistance you guys might offer. Its a portable PC with a compact case and a handle.

Manufacturer: Arkenstone Inc.
Model: Pen2-60
Mfg Date: 08/23/95
Voltage: 120
Hertz: 60
Options: S/B 204571

MVIMG_20200918_183122.jpg

Definitely military, probably avionics. The board is similar in design to some of the PCBs in the AN/UYK-20 computer used in the ATC Radar I worked on in the Marines. The metal frame allows for conduction cooling of the PCBs.

Tom

I won this in a state surplus auction of 10 miscellaneous PC's. I can find no information on the computer or the manufacturer. I think it is really cool looking and think it should be saved. Not sure what its purpose was as laptops were already a thing in 95. Would appreciate any assistance you guys might offer. Its a portable PC with a compact case and a handle.

Manufacturer: Arkenstone Inc.
Model: Pen2-60
Mfg Date: 08/23/95
Voltage: 120
Hertz: 60
Options: S/B 204571

View attachment 63590

How about zooming out. I'd like to see the whole thing in addition to your very nice photo of the label.

Greg

Has anyone seen anything like this before? Won it in a government surplus auction and can't find anything about it online. Thanks!

MVIMG_20200918_183122.jpg

IMG_20200918_183259.jpg

Thank you for the response! I posted a reply to another post with several more pics. I hope this helps. Thanks again!

Very strange PC, with braille and raised slot symbols for the visually impaired. Probably not military (I hope !)

What do the blue slider type controls do ?

Ah Ha

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AXvAppdnkDc

Dedicated speech synthesis computer !

http://www2.edc.org/NCIP/LIBRARY/VI/ocr.htm

Seems like it was part of a document OCR and conversion to braille and speech system which makes the controls and the touch readable slot ID's sensible.

Last edited:
Back