• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Windows 12 in the wings

Agent Orange

Veteran Member
Several well known sources have recently reported that W12 may be in the offing in 2024. Speculation is it will be cloud based and may require a subscription.

a1.jpg

I would not be surprised by either. I don't use Windows any more so don't care. I agree with Chuck. Give me Linux any day.

Thanks for sharing the intel! It would be quite a deviation to Microsoft's current policy to run on a subscription basis but who knows! For now, I am quite happy with Windows 11 ;)

Yeah, Windows 7 was the last good windows in my opinion. When more and more apps started saying "no longer supported on this operating system, please upgrade to windows 8.1 or above" I knew I'd be switching to Linux soon. All it took was a hard drive crash ... well the time has come, I'm on Linux now and don't regret it.

If all you do is web browsing and light office work Linux is ok, but there are too many oddball apps that are Windows only.

It took me until last year to start using W10 on some machines around here.

That seems to fit with the MS timeline: a new OS getting upgrades and an older OS only getting security revisions and a replacement OS taking over about every 5 years. The question is what improvements are planned for the new revision. In a lot of ways, current OS design feels like the tailfin era of cars. Lots of insignificant changes just because something has to change to justify a new version.

I will avoid any OS that requires a subscription.

Wine under Linux should allow running most Windows app in Linux. Maybe a bit slower, but probably not too much.

I can tolerate Windows 7 or 10 when I need them... eprom programming, firmware flashing, those kinds of things, if I can't do them in Mac or Linux. But those uses are few and far between. And all my windows boxes are dual boot with some Linux for when I need those CLI tools. I am a Mac user day to day but if I had to send all my Macs into the Sun, I would use Linux before any kind of cloud subscription based OS, windows or not. It seems ludicrous.

I havent heard anything about the subscription part, but can say it wouldn't surprise me for enterprise users. Windows 365 already exists...

I'll be sticking to Linux as well and MacOS X on my knew to me 2016 iMAC AIO system I got for 150 New Zealand pesos......

I assume this is some kind of a gag, an April Fool's joke.

I use Windows 7 for my day-to-day work, and Windows 10 on some computers. I would have tried Windows 11 except Microsoft won't allow it to run on any of my machines. Windows 10 is really buggy, and I can't imagine Windows 11 being any better.

An online-only subscription service will never be used by me. They can forget about that idea right now. Microsoft have been steadily going downhill since Gates left, and soon they won't have any home customers.

I don't know anything about Linux, and I don't really want to go there. All the programs I work on are Windows-only.

I think the technically accurate term when referring to Windows is not "in the offing" but simply "offal" :devilish:

Speculation is it will be cloud based and may require a subscription.
If this comes true, I'm either switching to linux or sailing the 7 seas. No way you'll ever see me pay a subscription fee for an operating system... I wanted to switch to linux when windows 11 was out, even dual-booted it but I just couldn't get some critical software to run no matter what I tried. Linux is great but a massive pain for many basic tasks for anyone but a linux expert, which I am not. I want it to succeed in the desktop market, but I don't think it can in its current state if even a tech-savvy guy like me can't get it working well. Linux also just doesn't support a lot of my stuff. I actually don't use office or adobe stuff which makes things easier, but:
itunes (still need it a lot for iPod syncing and other stuff), certain games, macimage, can't even get VMware to run even though it should... None exist for linux.
Everything runs on Windows, a lot of it runs on linux, but not enough, and not well enough. VMware not working was due an issue months old at the time. kernal update broke it, and it has been some 6 months since and VMware STILL hadn't patched it. The support just isn't there.

Last edited:
I assume this is some kind of a gag, an April Fool's joke.

I use Windows 7 for my day-to-day work, and Windows 10 on some computers. I would have tried Windows 11 except Microsoft won't allow it to run on any of my machines. Windows 10 is really buggy, and I can't imagine Windows 11 being any better.

An online-only subscription service will never be used by me. They can forget about that idea right now. Microsoft have been steadily going downhill since Gates left, and soon they won't have any home customers.

I don't know anything about Linux, and I don't really want to go there. All the programs I work on are Windows-only.
Not a gag just rumors from well placed sources. Windows has over 2 billion users so may not be missed.

I still want to know if we will be able to use it without a freaking Microsoft account. As far as I know, even using the non subscription based Microsoft Office 2022 requites a Microsoft account.

They are really pushing this Microsoft account stuff. Heck, look in the security settings of Windows 11 (or was it 10?) and if you aren't using their OneDrive, it will bitch at you that you need to make your computer "more secure" by literally uploading all your data to Microsoft. What a load of rotten BS.

I still want to know if we will be able to use it without a freaking Microsoft account. As far as I know, even using the non subscription based Microsoft Office 2022 requites a Microsoft account.

They are really pushing this Microsoft account stuff. Heck, look in the security settings of Windows 11 (or was it 10?) and if you aren't using their OneDrive, it will bitch at you that you need to make your computer "more secure" by literally uploading all your data to Microsoft. What a load of rotten BS.
You dont have an old skype account?

Back