• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by STorrence

1. S

ASAP: Amstrad CF2 disk drive

We are looking to read a number of CF2 floppies, presumably used with either an Apple II or an Amstrad. To do this, we're looking to acquire an Amstrad FD-1 Disk Drive or DDI-1 Disk Drive for use in the States. Willing to pay shipping costs to have unit and necessary cables ASAP. More details...
  2. S

Wanted ASAP: MO Disk Drive (Austin, Texas)

Hello, everyone! The Museum of Computer Culture is looking to help a local institution recover data from their Sony / Plasmon 130mm Magneto-Optical (MO) Disks. We are looking for a Sony SMO-F551 MO Disk Drive or equivalent. AS SOON AS POSSIBLE. We're in Austin, Texas. We would also accept an...
  3. S

VCF Southwest 3.0 seeking exhibitors! (August 2012)

Calling all South-Central US vintage computing enthusiasts! The Vintage Computer Festival Southwest 3.0 is coming up this August 4th and 5th in Arlington, Texas. Gil Carrick of the Museum of Information Technology - Arlington has traditionally organized these events. This year the Museum of...
  4. S

Got stories to share? The Museum of Computer Culture is interested!

Hey all! It's been quite a while since I've posted here. I originally discovered the VCF through my interest in Retr0brite. For the past couple of years I've been volunteering with the Goodwill Computer Museum in Austin, Texas. That group recently had a bit of a shake-up in November, but we...
  5. S

Lost CBM/PET Cable for 8050 Dual Floppy, what is it?

We have a Commodore CBM (PET 2001-32B) here at the Goodwill Computer Museum with an 8050 Dual Floppy external drive bay. Through a series of unfortunate circumstances we have lost the connecting cable that goes between them. To replace it, we need to know what to look for. Which cable connects...
  6. S

Mac LC II Networking (Open Transport + Asante MCiLC)

I am currently working on getting an old Macintosh LC II with an Asante MCiLC ethernet card (part no. 09-00062-03 A1) onto the wonders of the world wide web. I have made it as far as installing System 7.5.5 and Open Transport 1.1.2, as well as the original Asante network driver which I tracked...
  7. S

Track 0 bad and other HDD errors with old XT drives

So as part of the haul I made a little while I back I got several HDDs. None of them worked right off the bat, but thanks to Lorne I now have a copy of the 2.20 Advanced Diagnostics disk and was able to attempt to LLF all of them. Here are my results: a) Drive: IMI 5012H (??mb) Would not power...
  8. S

8-ish Fully-Operational IBM PCs/XTs plus Peripherals, Parts, Drives

I recently came across a local collector who is moving soon and needed to get rid of a large collection of PCs he had in his outdoor shed. When I got the systems most of them were filled with Lubbock dust and I wasn't sure if they would function after so many years. However, my roommates and I...
  9. S

Wanted: IBM PC/XT 1.44mb 3.5" Floppy Drive

I'm currently looking for a working 1.44mb 3.5" floppy drive for an IBM 5150/5160 (PC/XT). Can be full height or half height, doesn't matter.
  10. S

Wanted: IBM PC/XT 720k 3.5" Floppy Drive

I'm currently looking for a working 720k 3.5" floppy drive for an IBM 5150/5160 (PC/XT). Can be full height or half height, doesn't matter.
  11. S

Troubleshooting a non-responsive C128

I recently acquired a Commodore 128 in its original box from a collector. I plugged in the power supply and flipped it on, but I get no response whatsoever. The power light does not come on, and I can hear no signs of life from the unit. I'm very unfamiliar with the C128, so I'm wondering if...
  12. S

How to safely disassemble Macintosh Color Display (M1212)?

I am attempting to safely disassemble the monitor that I have with an old Macintosh LC II. It's a "Macintosh Color Display" model M-1212. I have found two screws on the bottom that loosen what appears to be the whole upper housing, but I cannot lift this housing off completely. It seems to be...
Back