• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Search results

1. R

Texas Not exactly a fire sale but...

Hey folks. It's been a while since I posted here. Without going into too much detail: divorce, isolation, depression, self destructive behaviors, bankruptcy - yep, I think that covers it. When all of the above was taking place, I shamefully neglected my business. I'm getting it back up to...
  2. R

Has anybody seen a LeCroy 3921 (I think) floppy drive for the 3500 Multibus System?

I have a LeCroy 3500 - not sure which particular variant. It's a Multibus machine, 8085 CPU, with built in CRT and a built in CAMAC crate. Mine is pretty rough, cosmetically but has enough boards to power on to a configuration screen. There's not a lot of info out there, but I found some...
  3. R

Multibus slot nomenclature

I've been reading up on Multibus and it's beginning to feel like either I'm overlooking the obvious or I'm looking for something that doesn't exist. The Intel spec labels the backplane connectors as J2, J3, J4, etc for P1 and J2A, J3A, J4A, etc for P2, with the lowest number furthest from the...
  4. R

A question about London (UK) for those who are familiar with it currently.

We're going to be staying there for a couple of nights, next month. It's been over a decade since we lived there, so... 1: It the area around the V&A, Imperial, etc still decent and safe? There's a hotel there that SWMBO likes. 2: Did the gentrification of Kings Cross ever amount to anything...
  5. R

HP 9000-236 (9836CU) video cable.

My latest score is an HP 9836CU (so, color with a 68010 CPU and HP-UX support) with a 98625A disk interface. I got the matching monitor, along with a 7957 HDD. This might finally get me cooking with CS80, except... I don't have a video cable to connect the computer to the monitor. Googling...
  6. R

Modern Windows file systems and my ignorance of them.

I am far from being up to date with current Microsoft file systems and it has caused me a problem. This morning, I attempted to "downgrade" a laptop from Win 8 to Win 7 Pro. I did this in a hotel room in Oklahoma City, because what else is there to do there when it's too early for anything to...
  7. R

So, I quit smoking...

My last one was at 9PM on Thursday. I used Alan Carr's book (The easy way to stop smoking) and, so far, it's going well. It can get a bit tricky when I fall into old patterns of thought, but once I catch myself and get my head straight, I'm back on track. Friday, I learned two things: 1. My...
  8. R

Raspbery Pi terminal emulator

I have a few of those 1U deals with a keyboard and a flip-up LCD monitor and had long intended to fit Raspbery Pis to them, to use them as terminals with my rack mount systems. It occurs to me that the Pi part might be a good project for while I'm convalescing from my hernia surgery, in a...
  9. R

US electrical supply question

A friend of mine has bought a diner and the city want her to replace the outlets in the kitchen with ones that incorporate a GFCI. The inspector said something along the lines of if the ground is wired correctly then she would only need to fit them to the first one. I'm more familiar with the...
  10. R

The Museum of Obsolete Media

I've been hanging out at Nekochan a bit, lately, trying to learn more about a load of SGI Onyx kit that came with my HP 1000/A900 setup. Somebody there posted a link to The Museum of Obsolete Media. I thought it was pretty cool and I don't recall it being mentioned here, so here's the link for...
  11. R

Having trouble imaging an OpenVMS CDROM

A while back, over on CCTalk, I mentioned that I'd found a CDROM containing WordPerfect 7 for OpenVMS. A few people asked me for an ISO. I tried to oblige but Windows 10 sees it as a blank CDRW and MacOs X Sierra fails to recognize it at all. Either I have a bad disk or I need some special...
  12. R

Any way to bypass autoexec.bat in MS DOS 3.21?

I know how to do it in 6.22, but is there any way of doing it in 3.21? Thanks
  13. R

Looking for info on some Olympia CP/M machines - ETX I, ETX II & EX 100

This week, I scored four Olympia boxes - an ETX I, an ETX II and two EX 100s. Googling has not been very fruitful. I have established that the ETX II and the EX 100 are CP/M machines, SSDD 48 tpi 5.25" and DSDD 48 tpi 5.25" respectively and have seen one assertion that the ETX II is S-100...
  14. R

Is anybody doing anything with cryptocurrency?

Last week, my brother asked me what I knew about bitcoin. The answer was "surprisingly little". Does anybody here know more than I and, if so, would you care to share it?
  15. R

What's your vintage computer to do list look like for 2018?

Mine is a mess. I'm over-represented in physically large systems and am finding that projects are getting in the way of other projects. So, my to do list is focused on freeing up space and completing projects in the order that will maximize the space available for other projects. With that in...
  16. R

Set of DEC Micro pdp-11 diagnostic disks.

While looking for something for another member, I stumbled across these. It appears to be a set of Micro pdp-11 diagnostic disks - two user and four tech, on 5.25" floppy. The disks are labelled: BL-T540D-MC CZUFDD0 MICRO PDP-11 USER TSTS (there are two of these) BL-T541D-MC CZXD1D0 FIELD...
  17. R

HP 1000/A900, with 7937 HDD

I recently acquired two of each - when they were launched in 1982, the feds had a list of 16 countries that they could be sold to. Anywhere else and it was The Inquisition. I must start by giving credit to the HP Computer Museum. It has good write ups, excellent "Cliff's Notes" on testing and a...
  18. R

Does anybody want racks, these days?

I have a few racks laying around, some of which I picked up while looking for a rack for my pdp11/34 project (which I now have and the project is set to resume in the coming months). Examples include a couple of short DEC ones for a micro pdp11 or microVax and an HP one for an HP 1000 A900. Is...
  19. R

Please get rid of the ebay style blue buttons.

I just typed out a long and thoughtful reply to another member's post. When I was done, I clicked the big blue "Reply to thread" button and my text vanished into the ether. I should have clicked the tiny grey "Post quick reply" button. This isn't the first time that this has happened. I...
  20. R

WTB: Lid for a Platinum Apple IIe

Does anybody have a spare one laying about?
Back