• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

CMB PET 3032 ( 2001N BOARD )

A 2532 and a 2732 are not the same. They cannot be used interchangeably and one setting on an EPROM programmer cannot be used to program the other type either. Three pins are different:

1685088818821.png
In order to use one type to replace another, you HAVE to use an adapter.

Will you PLEASE stop doing this - it doesn't (or shouldn't) work!

In fact, the programming voltage pin is different between the two devices. Doing what you are doing could well damage/destroy the device because you are supplying a +25V programming voltage to a TTL (+5V) input pin!

I have ignored the 'A' variant of these devices for the purpose of this post (21V programming voltage).

>>> I used 2732 option and and it seemed to have written but instead then it is empty.

When you programmed the device - it should not have verified correctly. I would try and program the device again, ensure that the "auto verify after programming" is enabled (read the manual) and see what messages are produced by the programmer.

The other thing is to use an EXTERNAL power supply rather than rely on the USB 5V supply. This is potentially important.

If you have bought these devices from eBay - what is to say they are not counterfeit or faulty? If this is the case, throw them away!

Even though a device is marked as a 2532 - if it is a 2732 that has been remarked - then guess what, it is really a 2732. However, in this case, it should program as a 2732. You can't use it in the PET in place of a 2532 though!

Dave

Last edited:
Desperado, I agree with Daver-2.

I always recommend buying new old stock IC's from sellers with a good reputation. And IC's that have original 1970's or 1980's date codes.

If I was in your location, I would go for some of these from Switzerland and then you won't have any eprom troubles:

Although in Hugo's experience the programmer in question should work with EPROMs with the 2532 variant pinout, there remains the question of why Desperado's specific example appears to drive pin 18 and pin 21 in a manner which is incorrect for 2732 pinned devices and correct for 2732 devices when '2532' is selected. (See again the sequence of posts about this in Desperado's earlier disk drive thread). I am not at all familiar with these programmers, I take it they consist of a 'front panel' software program running on a PC and a microcontroller on the programmer PCB.

Is it possible that Desperados' programmer has good PC 'front panel' software but bad / buggy firmware in its PCB? Is there any way to query the firmware version of the firmware in the programmer PCB so that we can see whether it is earlier / later / the same as the firmware from one which is known to work OK with 2532 pinned devices?

Dave's caution about NOT trying to programme 2732s as 2532s or vice - versa is an important one, you can easily damage a previously healthy device by trying to programme it as 'something else', for example the programmer may apply an incorrect (higher) programming voltage to the device and it may even apply it to the wrong pin of the device.

>>> i used 4 different TMS2532 JL but nothing to do.

Did you purchase them all at the same time from the same source?

Did you apply the same process to them all? In which case, if the programming voltage has been applied incorrectly to a pin, you have probably destroyed them all in the same way.

This is a case where experimentation is bad...

I remember a guy at work who plugged a £5k graphics controller that we had just bought into the mains and it didn't work. He assumed that it was faulty. He then proceeded to unpack the next one and try that. That was also faulty. The same with a third. At this point I overheard what he was doing and immediately stopped him. The equipment that was delivered was for a power station and it was (correctly) configured for 110V operation. He had just plugged them into the 240V mains in our computer room! I had to return £15k of graphics controllers for repair... Fortunately, the last two survived!

Before plugging anything into the mains - check the voltage setting. Before plugging an EPROM into an EPROM programmer make sure the EPROM and the programming configuration are correct. You can't account for re-marked devices - other than to purchase from reputable suppliers (but these devices are proportionally more expensive).

Dave

>>>Yes, Aliexpress.....

So probably not working, counterfeit, insert appropriate additional words here...

In our business we call them CFSI - Counterfeit, Fraudulent or Suspect Items. One reason why we can't use eBay, Aliexpress etc. etc. etc.

Dave

I use a TL866 that can do 21V and, using the adaptor Dave posted above, have no problems programming 2532A EPROMS as 2732A units.

I use a TL866 that can do 21V and, using the adaptor Dave posted above, have no problems programming 2532A EPROMS as 2732A units.
I have also some Tms 2532A but i haven't adapter....how can i make an adapter?

A 2532A requires a 21V programming pulse. Check your documents to see if your programmer supports a 2532A...

So, reading back at Hugo's post, this particular programmer does not support PROGRAMMING a 2532A - but it does support programming a 2732A.

Guess what, the image I posted in #1041 (even though it is for the "non-A" variant) is the adapter wiring you require.

2532 <=> 2732 adapter. 25V programming voltage.

2532A <=> 2732A adapter. 21V programming voltage.

There is no difference in pinout between the 2532 and the 2532A or between the 2732 and 2732A (the difference is purely the programming voltage).

Dave

Last edited:
i have some Am2732 eprom but i have always write fail....
Can i burn the Tms2532A with special adapter or not? I am desperate now! Today i receveid the news ls153....time to?

>>> i have some Am2732 eprom but i have always write fail....

Did you buy these from Aliexpress as well?

If so, throw them in the bin so that we don't have the same desperation again...

Dave

>>> I will keep it simple for you: YES!

I will qualify my statement - providing you didn't buy them from Aliexpress and they are cr*p!

Dave

>>> i have some Am2732 eprom but i have always write fail....

Did you buy these from Aliexpress as well?

If so, throw them in the bin so that we don't have the same desperation again...

Dave
Not, ebay!

>>> I think desperado said they were changing ?

He stated that they were different every time he turned on the PET - implying that this entire screen is just the initial power-on random screen.

If this is the case, my firmware is not even running.

CPU pin 7 (SYNC) and UD8 / UD9 pin 20 will tell us this.

CPU pin 7 will tell us the CPU is (still) fetching and executing instructions.

UD9 pin 20 will tell us the CPU is executing my firmware (in the kernal ROM socket).

UD8 pin 20 will tell us my firmware is doing something sensible! I use a dummy read from the ROM in UD8 to trigger the oscilloscope from - so we should see pulses on this pin if the firmware is working correctly.

If all of the above looks good - we should be able to check for video RAM writes and DRAM reads and writes (although Nivag's RAM is being used in reality).

It is amazing what you can learn from a few bytes of program!

I used to write test code for our operational machines... These were core store machines, with a 2 MB hard disk that was 1m in diameter with 100 fixed heads and a very beautiful head switching unit (I am led to believe this is still under the computer room false floor). This was all hardware to select the correct disk unit, track, hard sector and DMA the data into (or out of) the core.

Likewise the vector graphics units used core store to store both the graphics commands and the character set vectors. They were a digital/analogue hybrid - so had operational amplifiers to draw circles! You would have liked the electronics :)! I wish I had the foresight to have saved all of this equipment though... It was all replaced - although I do know where there are some units still in existence - I saw one on Tuesday when I went to a supplier's premises.

Dave
Must i take these measures with this hitachi eprom inserted?

Back