• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

New Forums nits

Yep, it's not there for me either.

Apart from that you have all done a stirling job in getting the new forum up and running (again) and take a bow :)!

I am at home once again...

Dave

Very nice, glad you guys like the banner. Although I see that the header is still taller than it could be.... looks like it's the events list on the right, which has its own vertical margins (yellow in this shot):

1642111354374.png

Those margins could be cut down with some CSS such as this.. just a suggestion.
CSS:
header ul {margin-top: 0.5em; margin-bottom: 0.5em}

One last thing, do you think you have some time to have a go at the favicon? The one we currently use is just the VCFED shield resized, but it sort of looks like a green smudge on a black background. I'm not sure what to suggest though.

Maybe I could try just the terminal graphic as @Pepinno suggests.
But what size(s) and formats does the favicon need? Some sites use anything from 16x16 to 256x256 or more, so I guess it depends on what xenforo is configured to use.

BTW, I see that now we can paste images from the clipboard directly into the post editor, and they become attachments... nice touch!

But what size(s) and formats does the favicon need? Some sites use anything from 16x16 to 256x256 or more, so I guess it depends on what xenforo is configured to use.
The favicon challenge is making something in 16x16 pixels which is clear to see. With 256x265 the logo itself could be used as is.

I think the post editor is vastly superior to the 'old board'...

Most things seem to work fine and are relatively intuitive. OK, there are a few things I haven't tried yet - and probably still a few nits lurking...

Dave

Looks like I'd need a 32x32 icon for the favicon, and I do like @Pepinno suggests. It's simple. matches the branding and in theory should be recognizable at that small scale.

Very nice, glad you guys like the banner. Although I see that the header is still taller than it could be.... looks like it's the events list on the right, which has its own vertical margins (yellow in this shot):

View attachment 1237658

I think I have managed to reduce that padding as much as Xenforo will let me. What do you think now?

Wow, between the new banner and color-scheme this forum is now not only working, but looking great as well!

Great work to all involved! Seriously, I’m loving this green! If you all could somehow create a dark theme with green text over a black background, that would be totally awesome as well.

Can you please change that green color back to blue? That's horrible to my eyes and looks like we are in an 90s hacker forum.

Reactions: smp
Can you please change that green color back to blue? That's horrible to my eyes and looks like we are in an 90s hacker forum.
I agree 100%, It's horrible to my eyes too, The "Home" page i am now struggling to read, Before i could sit back in my chair and read everything perfectly, The top of the page is putting it mildly a mess. I hope this isn't a sign of things to come, "IF IT AIN'T BROKE DON'T FIX IT"

Reactions: smp
The “like” button is back for me too.

I am afraid I agree with the poor choice of green as well. Same reason - readability. This also affects links (in the dropdown menu from the bell for example). These links are completely indistinguishable from the fixed text. I just happened to know they were there today!

Can we just unwind this modification please and put it back as it was rather than more “fiddling” - it was perfectly fine as it was...

Dave

Last edited:
I actually really like the green, but I see it’s not to everyone’s taste, which is understandable. I think the solution here is allowing people to select different themes, similar to how the old forum was.

RE: Liking posts - I think that's permission setting. I just changed what I think is the relevant permission. Can you see the like option now?
Yes, it works now. Thanks! I gave your post a Like.
Not so sure about the green look though.

From a Human Factors perspective the use of Red/Green and Green/Blue requires some thought.

I am Green/Blue colour blind - and a much larger proportion of the population are Red/Green colour blind.

I can see the text at least. However, the links in the menus not. The text size is way too small to differentiate content based upon colour for fonts of this size.

Dave

Looks like I'd need a 32x32 icon for the favicon, and I do like @Pepinno suggests. It's simple. matches the branding and in theory should be recognizable at that small scale.

I think this one might do, in .png format as attached here:
favicon-32x32.png

I think I have managed to reduce that padding as much as Xenforo will let me. What do you think now?

Better! Nice work.
Although I have to agree with some others that the new green theme isn't as nice as before. The blue worked better... but maybe xenforo has something in teal/cyan, closer to the VCF color scheme?

From a Human Factors perspective the use of Red/Green and Green/Blue requires some thought.
As for green and blue, there's a saying in German: "Grün und Blau frisst die Sau".
This can not be lit. translated, as it would not make any sense then. But it's a reminder for designers to *never* use green and blue side-by-side. So not only is the green ugly, it's also a no-go to have green and blue together in the header from a designer's perspective.

I think the green would be fine if it was more teal like the logo.

Back