• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Virtual DEC KEY REPOSITORY

I just received an original red plastic "key" for my PDP-11/44 from an eBay purchase. If I win the lottery tonight, then I think I'll have the tooling made to reproduce them by the bucket full. ;)

Otherwise, somebody with access to a 3D printer might be able to make replicas that pass the five foot test.

No real need. Just buy ACE tubular metal blanks. They work just fine in the 11/44 uncut. If you take them to a locksmith they can cut them to the XX2247 code for older systems.

I have plenty of tubular metal blanks, and a machine to copy tubular keys (though I don't have a proper set of depth/space keys to create an XX2247 key from scratch, nor do I have a properly-cut XX2247 to copy yet). I wanted the red plastic key because it Looks Right. Plain metal blanks work just fine, but I'm going for the style points. Hey, if I win the Super Lotto, I'll make buckets of reproduction plastic keys if I feel like it, need be damned! And I'll hand them out like party favors! I'll also wear brand new socks and a brand new T-shirt every day! :)

Now, if I won the Mega Millions, then I'd start thinking about opening up a magnetic media factory to make new floppies, tapes and disk packs...

I carried an XX2247 key, given to me by one of my PDP-8 mentors, for years until I just had too many keys. I'm sure I still have it someplace.

I can confirm that an uncut 0.375" O.D. tubular metal key works for the PDP11/84.

My 11/84 is cabinet mounted. Not sure if the box mount versions are any different.

This would seem to be the place to ask. I acquired a pair of Digital keys at auction. They seller description say they are VAX cabinet keys. I would be interested to find out what model of machines they were used for. They have the Digital logo on one side and a number stamped on the other, they are a kind of brassy color. I'll add pictures, to see if anyone can help me identify them. Sorry if they are a little blurry, the numbers are identical on both keys.

Thanks,

Rich

Cabinetkey1.jpgCabinetkey2.jpg

I haven't seen those hex cabinet keys before. I hope I find one to go along with my DEC cabinets one of these days. An ordinary hex wrench works just fine, but all of the cool kids will laugh at me.

Thanks Guys. I appreciate the information. I feel like I have the keys to the kingdom. I'm gradually picking up various DEC associated items for my collection. For background I did some training as a software engineer (I dropped out ;-) using Pascal and Powerhouse on VAX/VMS systems, we had a 3 machine cluster ( comprised of an 8250, 8350, an an 8700) , along with a number of Microvaxes. I learned to code in DCL (loved that language to bits). I spent hours at college on VT220, VT320, VT100 and Decmate terminals (and even Decwriters..still a few scattered around at the end of the 80s). I did own a VAX 4000 for a while before emigrating to the US, a friend turned up with in a trailer one time and said wanna Vax. Later I worked for a large utility company using DEC Alpha hardware to transfer their old paper electrical control diagrams into a graphical state, so they could control their network from a large video display. For some reason DEC hardware and software just feels 'right' :)

Hi - If you could get me a XX2247 key I'll be eternally grateful - otherwise I'll be unable to power up my PDP8F. But, I am hoping you can send it to the UK. If you can I am wondering how I pay you - I've got a US bank account and could send a cheque, or, could send a cdn$ note in the post. Can you help? Best regards - Richard

Hi - If you could get me a XX2247 key I'll be eternally grateful - otherwise I'll be unable to power up my PDP8F. But, I am hoping you can send it to the UK. If you can I am wondering how I pay you - I've got a US bank account and could send a cheque, or, could send a cdn$ note in the post. Can you help? Best regards - Richard

Which "you" in this long thread are you addressing? :)

If there are any UK folks here who can copy an XX2247 for richnye, that would probably be fastest and cheapest for him. Otherwise, maybe I can copy mine.

If anybody is interested, I can get --and test -- the XX2247 keys for $10 cdn (testing is free -:). Shipping will be cheap anywhere.

Hi - can you still get a XX2247 key or know where I can go to find one?
Thanks - Richard

Hi - I need one of these keys - can you get me one?
Richard

I bought richnye's PDP8/F. He got it sorted with 2 keys. The XX2247 key was fitted and very stiff, in fact I had a real job getting out of the panel lock position that it was set in.
A generic spare key that came with it was much better. A big thank-you to whoever sorted that out.

I found the info about blanks on Ebay interesting and just bought a few to check them out. Was amused to see that apparently Harley Davidson uses the same keys

A locksmith in Melbourne in Australia is producing keys which fit the PDP-8/E at a very reasonable price of AU$25.00 (that is about US$18.50).

They sell it on Ebay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/142118132040

The seller is "key-king" just in case the listing number changes over time.

The Lab-8/e I have been repairing had no key so I operated it without the lock. I ordered the key on Ebay from the listing above and a few days ago it arrived. Today while replacing two dead lamps I also reinstalled the lock so the Lab-8/e is now complete and beautiful.

Best regards
Tom Hunter

Last edited:
Back