• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

Recent content by TomFCS

1. T

Qantel Computer System

Hey guys, A contractor friend of mine called me today to check out some old computer gear he came across on a job site he was working at. I took what pictures I could, but the lighting was terrible and the cell phone was just about dead so I couldn't use the flash. Anyway, it is an old Qantel...
  2. T

It's getting there, slowly but surely...

Well it's been just slightly over one year since I started my storage room project and thought I would post an update of the progress so far. Most all of the rough construction is completed, with the exception of building an audio equipment rack and installing some additional small shelves for...
  3. T

Does this package contain media?

A forum member has expressed some interest in one of the shrink-wrapped Win 3.1's I recently found and I have some concern about the actual contents of the package. (see pictures) Both the DOS 5.0 and the Win 3.1 packages, as shown, were found together, but neither box specifically states that...
  4. T

Latest Haul

We're having a clean out of some storage areas at work and I've been hauling some stuff away. There's some pressure to clear this out quickly, so I'm pretty much just grabbing anything that looks even mildly interesting and going to sort it all out later. Hardware... 2 - ATX mid tower clones -...
  5. T

Is this of any use to anyone?

The school I work at is in the process of filling in our ancient swimming pool and I pulled out this KyroScope Mark II time computer before it hit the dumpster. Probably purchased in the mid to late 80's. It was used in swimming meets to keep time scores for up to 10 lanes of swimmers. It...
  6. T

Commodore 64 re-make.

I was clicking away on the stumble button wasting time and came across this soon to be released NEW re-make of the commodore 64. I really like how it looks but not really sure if I'd plunk down any money for one. Interesting idea though...
  7. T

Transistor Operation/Theory

I recently found this article on transistors. Unfortunately, my knowledge of electronics, (anything beyond simple operations performed with a VOM) is pretty much nil. I thought this was an extremely well written explanation of transistor operation/theory. It's a simple and at least somewhat...
  8. T

IBM lot in Richmond, VA

Anyone else seen this one? Too bad it's pickup only and nowhere near me. $1.00 starting bid. Maybe of interest to someone close by. Ebay item number: 170307322469
  9. T

Gopher Sites

I was thinking today about early electronic communication, BBS's whatever, and realized that I hadn't thought about gopher sites in years. Quick google turned up this site with links to seven still active ones. Kind of cool. I assumed they had all but completely disappeared long ago...
  10. T

The PC Engineer's Reference Book

Wasn't sure where to put this, so if not correct please move. I was searching for info on "change line stuck high" and came across this excellent 500 page .pdf ---> http://members.tripod.com/flammingfiles/files/biosdl.pdf It covers a wide range of topics. CPU design, memory types, BIOS...
  11. T

Latest addition - IBM Model 77s

Well, I decided to go on a hunt for a Model 80 floppy at several local computer shops today, no luck there, but after looking thru more boxes of junk than I have in a long time, I ended up coming home with this Model 77. Gave the guy $12.00 for it. Blew out the big dust and it fired right up...
  12. T

IBM Model 80 Questions

Right off the top... Good online source for batteries? What OS? I have IBM DOS 5.0, DR-DOS 6.0 and Win 3.1 available to me now. Also have OS/2 warp for Windows. Hmmmmm. My only experience with OS/2 is looking at screen shots. Never touched it. Seems to me that this might be fun and new. :)
  13. T

XMAS Riddle

Hi all, We had our annual Christmas party at work Friday, and as usual, there were various prizes awarded to people in recognition of their unique skills. You know the stuff, singing carols, dancing, best imitation of a co-worker and of course the race to see who could solve the annual...
  14. T

ST-225 - Red/Green Led's

I was just wondering if the difference in color of the drive activity led's on these drives has any special significance? Earlier/later manufacture date, slightly different specs, where it was manufactured, etc... Just curious.
Back