• Please review our updated Terms and Rules here

The move is complete, but the tweaking has only just begun

You folks did an excellent job and I no longer have any complaints.

Thank you. FWIW I welcome complaints, so long as they are productive and actionable (and yours definitely were/are). So please feel free to complain about things as you find them!

Thanks for all your hard work on this- so far it really looks and works much, much better! Happy to see the latest improvements e.g. sub-forums being accessible right from the main page. I understand that there are still some kinks to smooth over, but I very much like how it's turning out.

One thing I'm hoping for is URL-based redirection for the old forum links, so they could be resolved and forwarded to the new ones. In many cases, search engine results for the VCF forums have been the only way to find information on the web about a given subject. If these old links rot, they'll eventually be removed and lost.

On the other hand the poll asking which forum software we should use next had only 30 people on the entire forum vote. That's a very poor sample based on...(checks the wayback machine)....1027 active members, as of December 23.
I did a quick look when the choices were listed and decided that I didn't have enough experience to pick so trusted the people who knew more would make a good choice. Suspect a lot of other people did the same. So far looks like a good choice.

Agreed. So far the new choice seems to be working well for me - and the ‘tweakers’ are improving things at a fast rate! Thanks guys.

Dave

One thing I'm hoping for is URL-based redirection for the old forum links, so they could be resolved and forwarded to the new ones. In many cases, search engine results for the VCF forums have been the only way to find information on the web about a given subject. If these old links rot, they'll eventually be removed and lost.
I was just thinking the same! I think a permanent redirection thread to thread would be great. I think an automatic redirect would be feasible. This forum is a wealth of knowledge on this vintage computer field and I plenty agree with you, VileR: several times this is the only way to find very specific information. Plus, the information is usually very high quality.

It would be a pity that this info would be lost, or it would take several months or years to be indexed again and high ranked by the search engines.

Many thanks to all the Admins and Mods who made this latest Forum update so smooth and seamless!

I agree with all the positive sentiment that has been expressed so far, and I certainly agree that this new Forum format is easy to use - much more intuitive than before - and the tweaks are making it all even better!

smp

I did a quick look when the choices were listed and decided that I didn't have enough experience to pick so trusted the people who knew more would make a good choice. Suspect a lot of other people did the same. So far looks like a good choice.
That was my issue too. I have very little experience with any forum software. I know what I like and don't, but rarely pay attention
to what software is running a forum I am reading. So I didn't have a preference. I just knew I didn't like the previous one. :) This looks
pretty good so far but there are still kinks and bumps to be fixed.

I was just thinking the same! I think a permanent redirection thread to thread would be great. I think an automatic redirect would be feasible. This forum is a wealth of knowledge on this vintage computer field and I plenty agree with you, VileR: several times this is the only way to find very specific information. Plus, the information is usually very high quality.

It would be a pity that this info would be lost, or it would take several months or years to be indexed again and high ranked by the search engines.
Yes please! Breaking old forum links is the greatest sin. Otherwise everything is looking great, good job guys.

Our plan is to leave the old forum up, in read-only mode. We specifically chose to do that so as to not lose any of the old links.

@Lutiana and @broswell did a fantastic job during the migration. Thanks so much, guys!

- Alex

I don't know if this would be the place to mention this, but I've noticed when trying to search terms such as "8 bit IDE", it'll say that it can't complete the search due to the terms being too short or too common

Don't know if this is possible and not really a complaint, but It would be very nice if after viewing "New Posts,they would turn to a lighter or different color. Not a biggie but would be helpful when there's a full screen of new stuff.

Mine disappear after I have read them.

If I then Select “What’s new” my “read” items are identified from my “unread” items in a slightly lighter colour.

I am happy with this behaviour.

Dave

Is there any way that I can access the private messages that are left on the old (pre-move) VCF? Read-only is fine. Trying to resolve some transaction details and the related messages didn't get moved over.

Our plan is to leave the old forum up, in read-only mode. We specifically chose to do that so as to not lose any of the old links.
If you do that, PLEASE invalidate all passwords and email addresses stored there! Since it's just an archive then, no one will maintain or ever again update it. Which of course means that as soon as a security flaw is known for that outdated version, the forum may get attacked and the database leaked.

Should that not be possible or wanted, I ask you to completely delete my account from the old forum. Thanks.

Back